3.07.2010

butternut soup.

When yesterday I realized I had a few butternut squash rolling around that needed to be used, it was an easy decision to make soup out of them. Given our spring-like temperatures, of course, it seems a bit off-season, and this will probably be the last batch I make this winter. But it's a great way to use up any last squash you have lying around, and there's always next fall's squash to look forward to!

Winter Squash Soup
from Barefoot in Paris

2 tbsp. unsalted butter
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 c. chopped yellow onions (2 onions - *I use 2 small or 1 1/2 large)
1 15-oz. can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
1 1/2 lb. butternut squash, peeled and cut in chunks (*a 2-lb. squash works well)
3 c. chicken stock/broth
2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 c. half-and-half


1. Heat the butter and oil in a stockpot; add the onions and cook over med-low heat for 10 minutes, or until translucent. (*Don't rush the onions! The soup has a much more well-rounded flavor if you let them cook the full time.)

2. Add the pumpkin puree, butternut squash, chicken stock/broth, salt, and pepper. Cover and simmer over med-low heat for about 20 minutes, until the butternut squash is very tender. (*Depending on your squash, this might take closer to 30 minutes.)


3. Process the mixture through the medium blade of a food mill. (*This was the first time I'd actually used a food mill. I normally use a food processor, pureeing the soup in batches until it's smooth but not too watery; I think that I actually like the results from the food processor better as it seems to give the soup a more integrated texture than the mill.)


4. Return to the pot, add the half-and-half, and heat slowly. If the soup needs more flavor, add salt to taste.


Makes 4 servings, according to Ina, though I usually get at least 5.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3/08/2010

    Hello, my friend! Have been enjoying every post so far. If only I could spend more of my own procrastination time on cooking. I do have to do something with a couple of old bananas soon, though. Any banana bread secrets you'd like to share?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shameful secret: I've never actually made banana bread! Ever! But I'll email you a recipe that's been highly recommended to me, from Nigella Lawson's Domestic Goddess cookbook. Perhaps it/you will inspire me to try it, too!

    ReplyDelete