8.11.2010

gazpacho.

Today was another like so many this summer: hot toothpaste, cool shower, general sweaty unpleasantness. For comfort, I like to think about this:


[Wistful sigh.] For now, though, I'll just continue to enjoy all the great summer produce, like the tomatoes which made this possible.

Before today, I'd never actually made gazpacho. But I have a feeling that this will become one of my summer staples from now on. It has two main benefits: one, that it requires a good amount of chopping, which I find soothing; two, that it requires absolutely involvement from the stove or oven. Plus it's tasty! The vinegar gives it a nice bite, while the cucumbers and pepper add depth. There's nothing bland about this gazpacho.

I adapted it a bit from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything - added a bit of red onion, left the crusts on my bread, and, more significantly, cut way back on the water. Bittman calls for 5 cups of water; I ended up using 1 1/2 and loving the consistency of my soup. Hmm. The original amount seems like it would produce an incredibly watery soup, but perhaps it just depends on how hefty your tomatoes are once they've been cored and seeded. Or something like that. In any case, you might want to add the water a bit at a time and adjust to your consistency preferences. I also missed the step that told me to peel the tomatoes - oops. But I didn't mind the peels and, while getting rid of them might have meant a slightly more uniform smoothness, even liked the slight texture they gave the soup. I'll probably leave them on in the future, too. You could use any combination of tomatoes; since I made this on a non-farmers'-market day, I just combined a few different kinds (plum, on the vine, a big wonderfully lumpy one) from Sue's, along with some cute yellow grape tomatoes.


Beware that making this could get a bit messy. The directions say to process everything (including the 5 c. water!) all together. I have a 7-cup food processor and could barely manage in two batches; there was a noticeable puddle of pink gazpacho-juice by the time I was through. Because of this, I combined all of the chopped veggies in a large mixing bowl, then added the vinegar and the salt and pepper before processing it in two batches, adding half the water and oil to each. Therefore, the directions below are adjusted accordingly, though if you have a mammoth food processor/blender, congratulations, and feel free to toss in everything in one go.


Basic Gazpacho
adapted from Mark Bittman, How to Cook Everything

approx. 3 lb. ripe tomatoes, cored, [peeled,] seeded, and roughly chopped [*optional]
1 red or yellow bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and roughly chopped
2 Kirby cucumbers, peeled and roughly chopped
approx. 1/8 red onion, chopped (about 1 - 2 tbsp.)
4 slices stale white bread (about 4 oz.), crusts removed (*I used my favorite sourdough from Metropolitan Bakery and, because I almost never plan enough in advance to have stale bread lying about, simply toasted the slices and let them sit for 15 mins. or so. Leaving the crusts on added nice taste and texture. Dipping slices of the bread in the soup is delicious, also.)
1 c. plus 1 1/2 - 6 c. cold water
1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
1/4 c. good wine vinegar (*I used red.)
1/2 c. olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

1. Combine the chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, pepper, onion, and garlic in a large bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste, along with vinegar.

2. Soak the bread in 1 c. water for 5 mins.; squeeze out excess water and set aside.

3. Place half the bread in the food processor and process until finely chopped; add half the veggie mixture and 3/4 c. water. Process until smooth; add more water if needed. Then with the motor running, slowly add 1/4 c. olive oil. Pour into separate bowl; repeat with the rest of the veggies, another 3/4 c. water, and another 1/4 c. oil.

4. Refrigerate until ready to serve; the flavor will improve over a few hours. Serve with the same bread you used in the soup, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment