9.08.2010

peach shortbread.

First of all, happy back-to-school season!


"Do something: Academics are back!" I took this photo at Paper Source in Brookline back in August because it made me chuckle. Ok, the whole awning actually reads "Do something creative every day." And the sign is talking about academic calendars. But still. It made me think about those like me coming out of their summer hibernation, shaking off the fuzziness, and returning to the books, the classroom, and life as we like it.

Second of all, I'm on something of a peach kick. They're just so good, and they won't be around for much longer, so why not? Multiple friends mentioned this recipe to me as soon as it appeared on smittenkitchen, so I complied with the not-so-subtle request (your ploy worked, friends) and gave it a try. Yum. Shortbread + peaches + crumbly topping = happy friends. And happy me.

This was my first attempt at brown butter. Nerve-wracking but ultimately rewarding, as you could definitely taste the nuttiness in the shortbread. However, it would be just fine and still delicious with regular softened butter (plus a few extra tablespoons of flour) if you don't have time to hover anxiously over the pan.


Peach Shortbread
adapted slightly from smittenkitchen

2/3 c. sugar (*I reduced this from the original and it could probably be cut even more.)
1 tsp. baking powder
3 c. minus 2 tbsp. flour
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. cold unsalted butter
1 egg
2 peaches, peeled, pitted, and thinly sliced (1/4"- to 1/8"-thick wedges)

1. Brown the butter: melt in small/med. saucepan over low heat. It will melt, then foam, then turn clear gold, then begin to brown slightly, especially on the bottom. Stir frequently so that it doesn't burn, especially at the end. Pour into heatproof container and freeze for 30 mins. or until solidified. (Not rock hard - just the consistency of normal butter.)

2. Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly butter a 9x13" pan.

3. In med. bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Then add egg and solidified butter and mix with your hands or a pastry cutter (*I like to use my hands) until mixture is well-combined and crumbly.

4. Pat 3/4 of the crumb mixture into the bottom of the pan for your shortbread base and press down firmly. Arrange peaches on top in a single layer. Scatter remaining crumbs evenly over peaches.



5. Bake for 30 mins. or until top is slightly browned. Cool completely in pan before cutting.

1 comment:

  1. Re: photo 1, that reads to me like a very serious call to action. I don't know whether to be worried or excited.

    ReplyDelete